"But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word." – Acts 6:4
- the Bible is the inspired, inerrant word of God and the only authority for faith and living.
- God exists as one yet in three persons: the Father, of Whom are all things; the Son, by Whom are all things; and the Holy Spirit, through Whom are all things.
- Jesus Christ was and is divine; that he died for the sins of all mankind; that He rose from the dead and ascended on high from whence He will return.
- the Holy Spirit draws and convicts men of their sin, indwells the believer, and empowers with His gifts today.
- man is separated from God by sin and is reconciled to God only by faith in Jesus Christ.
- in the physical resurrection of both the just and the unjust.
- heaven and hell are actual and real destinies of the just and unjust.
Grace Evangelical Church was founded February 4, 1987
to offer an independent, non-denominational, evangelical ministry
to the Tampa Area.
Grace Evangelical Church is best explained by its name:
Grace Evangelical Church is Pastor led, Board advised, and Congregation governed.
- Grace, the foundation of a relationship to God and His Son: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast." – Ephesians 2:8-9.
- Evangelical, defined as those churches that emphasize salvation by faith in the atonement of Jesus Christ, because Scripture stresses the need of every person to have a personal relationship with God through a personal encounter and acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Church, the word used in Scripture to denote a community of believers and emphasize their unique relationship of fellowship with both God and each other: "That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ." – I John 1:3.
"...come and go with us, and we will do thee good." – Numbers 10:29
We desire to reconcile people to God.
"And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation, and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation We pray thee in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God." – II Corinthians 5:18-20
We desire to see the Word of God become the joy and rejoicing of people's hearts.
"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart." – Jeremiah 15:16
We desire for people to find the profit in knowing the Word of God.
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." – II Timothy 3:16-17
We desire for people to come to know and to receive the promises of God's Word.
"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." – II Peter 1:4
We desire to lead people to abundant living.
"I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." – John 10:10
We desire to offer ourselves and this ministry to all.
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." – Galatians 3:28
Reverend David M. Pointer and his wife, JoAnn, have pastored together for thirty-eight years. Both were born in Xenia, Ohio, and lived there until their move to Tampa in 1986, ministering at Grace Community Church in Xenia for nineteen years.
Rev. Pointer's strong preaching ministry is complemented by his love of teaching. He served as Academic Dean of the Bible College where he taught Religion, Apologetics, and Theology. He also served as a hospital chaplain and was active in the community ministerial association.
Mrs. Pointer contributes a strong background in Music, English, and Psychology. She is an accomplished organist and pianist, a published writer, and taught English and General Psychology at the college level.
Rev. and Mrs. Pointer's scripturally-based emphasis on building successful marriages and families is demonstrated by their forty-five year marriage and their nine children. Their children and grandchildren also now reside in the Tampa area.
The Pointers' commitment and approach to ministering rest upon the attitude displayed by the Apostle Paul in II Corinthians 12:14, "Behold...I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you." and II Corinthians 12:15, "And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you..."